Are you starting a business or non-profit?
PBO’s Free Legal Advice Hotline can help small businesses and non-profits with common legal issues
Call our Free Legal Advice Hotline! Available Monday to Friday, from 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM and 1 PM to 4:00 PM.
No matter what kind of creator you are – business person, artist, social entrepreneur, you name it — there are many legal issues you’ll need to consider. We understand that it’s hard to find extra money to develop your corporate structure, protect your brand, review contracts or deal with human resources questions when you’re trying to launch an enterprise. We address common issues on our Hotline such as:
- I’m starting a business. Do I need to incorporate?
- Should I operate as a sole proprietorship or a corporation?
- I’m starting a business with someone else. Should we operate as a partnership or a corporation?
- Should I incorporate federally or provincially?
- How do I start a not-for-profit?
- What rules do I have to follow when naming my business?
- Do I have to register my business name?
- What should I look out for when signing a commercial lease?
- I’ve been asked to stop using my company’s name or logo
- What records do I have to keep or file to maintain my corporation?
- I need help writing or reviewing a business document or contract
Self-Help Resources for Small Businesses and Non-Profits
Online Charity Toolbox
If you are planning on starting a non-profit/charity, Pro Bono Ontario is happy to provide you assistance through our Online Charity Tool Box. The toolbox is an online interview that will take you step-by-step through the application process to gather the information needed specific to your organization’s application type. At the end of the online interview, all of the application forms will be automatically completed and ready to save, print and be reviewed by a lawyer. Click here to access the Online Charity Tool Box.