Do you need help with an Ontario legal dispute?
PBO’s Free Legal Advice Hotline can help with questions about going to court
Call our Free Legal Advice Hotline! Available Monday to Friday, from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
Self-represented parties often need help navigating the court system, whether in Small Claims Court, Superior Court, or at higher levels. Here are some examples of common questions we receive on the Hotline about civil litigation cases:
- I want to sue someone and need advice on the process
- I have been served with court papers and don’t know how to respond
- I need help with a step in an ongoing legal proceeding
- I’m not sure how to complete or serve court documents
- What is an affidavit of service and how to I prepare one?
- I’ve written a draft of a statement of claim or statement of defence and would like someone to review it
- What evidence do I need for my case and how do I present it to the court?
- The other side has asked me to sign a settlement agreement and I want to be sure it’s fair
- My court case was dismissed without my knowledge
- I’ve just learned that a court order was made against me without my knowledge
- A judge made a decision on my case that I disagree with
- I won my case, but the other side won’t pay. What can I do to enforce the order?
IMPORTANT: Suspension of In-Person Court-Based Services:
Temporary Centre Closure (Call the Hotline):
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as of Monday, March 16, 2020 the Toronto and Ottawa Law Help centres will be closed until further notice.
Members of the public can still access summary legal advice and legal drafting assistance though the Free Legal Advice Hotline by calling 1-855-255-7256. The Hotline is available Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. For more details, please read the press release here. Updates on the reopening of the centres will be posted here when information is available.
You can also visit us in person. Our offices are located at:
- 161 Elgin Street, Room 5027, Ottawa (for Small Claims Court and Superior Court)
- 47 Sheppard Avenue East, Room 305, Toronto (for Small Claims Court)
Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Please note: lawyers on the hotline and at the help centres provide brief services. They do not create an ongoing lawyer-client relationship with you. For our full Terms and Conditions, click here.