On March 13 – within 48 hours of the WHO’s announcement that COVID-19 is a global pandemic – PBO reorganized its operations so that all services are delivered through the Free Legal Advice Hotline and volunteers can answer calls from the safety of their own homes.
The Hotline is providing desperately needed assistance to Ontarians experiencing unprecedented legal needs related to the COVID-19 crisis:
- Employment issues for those facing the loss of work, or dramatically reduced wages or job security
- Housing problems for those facing evictions, cancelled leases, and social distancing concerns
- Civil litigation for those facing an urgent need to access the courts
- Consumer debt and protection for those with bills they can no longer afford
- Corporate law for non-profits and small businesses reeling in the face of cancelled contracts and lost business
- Power of Attorney questions for people understandably worried about substitute decision making
If you are interested in applying to volunteer with us as a lawyer, click here.
If you are interested in applying to volunteer with us as a student, click here.
SUPPORT FOR VOLUNTEERS
- Real-time IT support from PBO staff
- Real-time legal support from PBO staff lawyers
- Access to articles and specialized resources featuring the latest legal information about COVID-19
- Extended malpractice coverage for lawyers who volunteer for our programs. Click here for more information about LawPRO’s pro bono coverage
- Mitigating licensing fees for retired lawyers or lawyers in the 25% and 50% fee categories
- Conflicts of interest exemptions
Unable to volunteer time at the moment? Consider a financial contribution instead. Click here to learn more and donate.